I am currently serving as a full-time missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the Johannesburg, South Africa Mission! I plan to serve for two years before returning home to finish my education.

I am serving a mission because I know that God is our loving Father in Heaven. I have a testimony that he knows each of us personally and wants us to succeed. The gospel Jesus Christ leads to lasting happiness. The fullness of his Gospel exists on the Earth today and I want to help spread the joyous news!

If you are reading this and don't know for yourself I plead with you to learn more. You can gain a personal witness that the Gospel has been restored! Visiting http://mormon.org is a great way to start!

I miss you all and would love to hear from you! See you in two years!

October 31st, 2009


October 31st, 2009

Dear Friends and Family,

I arrived at the Johannesburg MTC safely. This is my third day here. The MTC is great! We have 17 Elders and 2 Sisters. My companion's name is Elder Onsongo, he's from Kenya. He's fluent in Swahili and English. He joined the church just over a year ago, and brought the gospel to his family and has now come out to serve a mission. He knows a lot about the gospel. He and I have been called as the first assistants to the MTC president it's really neat to be able to work so closely with him and his wife. My companion and I get to visit with him each morning for a planning meeting. The coolest part is the end of each meeting when he asks us what we learned from our morning scripture study. He has lots of deep insights and comparisons.
It was pretty rough adjusting to the time difference. I think it's only 8 hours, not 12. I think I was only able to sleep 7 hours total within the first 3 days!
There's so much I wish I could write, I'm sure that I've hardly answered any of your questions yet I am almost out of time. I want everyone to know that I'm safe, extremely busy, and that I'm having a great time. I know that this is where the Lord wants me to be. I am so glad that I have this chance to take part in his work!
Love,Elder Halterman

No comments:

Post a Comment