I am currently serving as a full-time missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the Johannesburg, South Africa Mission! I plan to serve for two years before returning home to finish my education.

I am serving a mission because I know that God is our loving Father in Heaven. I have a testimony that he knows each of us personally and wants us to succeed. The gospel Jesus Christ leads to lasting happiness. The fullness of his Gospel exists on the Earth today and I want to help spread the joyous news!

If you are reading this and don't know for yourself I plead with you to learn more. You can gain a personal witness that the Gospel has been restored! Visiting http://mormon.org is a great way to start!

I miss you all and would love to hear from you! See you in two years!

Professor Slughorn's Luck Potion

Hey everyone!

We're having a Zone activity on Monday so we're taking some time out of our district meeting to email a little early this week.

Soon after sending my last email I realized that it would have been better titled "A breath taking week" (feel free to re-read it with the new title). If you can imagine it, this week has been even better! Our Schedule has been packed with appointments, even more than when I first arrived here. We have to go on splits twice a week because we can’t possibly see everyone on our own. The last few days it’s really been clear that the Lord is guiding our work. Very few of our appointments have canceled and in many other cases we’ve been guided to the right place at the right time – we’re never idle. Wednesday morning Elder Sicotte and I looked at hour schedule and honestly had no idea how it would work. In our prayer we asked for heaven’s guidance. The answer was amazing, we saw everyone we wanted too, and many more - the day went perfectly. It felt like we’ve been given a drop of the Luck potion in the Harry Potter series that brings you success in all your endeavors. Elder Sicotte and I have really felt guided by the spirit.

In contrast, a worker broke into our flat on Wednesday and stole mine and Elder Stodmeister’s camera. He also took of with and about $100 in Rand from Elder Hatch and me. It must have been an after effect of our great success. Don’t worry about me though. Nothing was destroyed, and we still feel pretty safe. I can see that Heavenly Father has been watching out for me. Just the morning before they broke in I sent off a picture CD with most of the pictures I’d taken so I think I’ve only permanently lost a few (It should arrive in 3 to 4 weeks). I think the Lord has taken this chance to help me learn a lesson. When I first realized that my camera was missing it weighed on me for most of the day. I tried not to let it get to me, but it seemed to loom over every free thought. I fervently prayed that somehow it would return. At the end of the day I thought about what I was doing, in my prayers I had been more concerned for a camera than I had been for people I teach. I realized that my most fervent prayers should be for the people I serve and love to accept the gospel and find joy in their lives. I feel the worst for Elder Stodmeister, he lost all his pictures from the last 3 months, but even he is getting over it. Pictures are temporal; memories are eternal and we’ll be able to look back on them with the people we served for eternity.

This week is looking to be the best I’ve ever had. We’re expecting loads of people at church on Sunday. More people have committed to coming to church than any other week. Afterwards we’ll have Ralph Zirah’s baptism. The Car is still acting up, in fact it’s become much worse. The fumes aren’t bad, but it’s performing very poorly. We took it in last Monday but they couldn’t find the problem, after we finish we’re going to take it to another garage.

Also, myLDSmail is upgrading, the church had been working with Google to make better accounts. Do you have my LDS account username? I think it’s saved on the laptop. I’ll let you know if my email address changes- but don’t worry, they’ll forward all my mail to the new account.

Have a great week!
Love,
Elder Keith Halterman

No comments:

Post a Comment