I am currently serving as a full-time missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the Johannesburg, South Africa Mission! I plan to serve for two years before returning home to finish my education.

I am serving a mission because I know that God is our loving Father in Heaven. I have a testimony that he knows each of us personally and wants us to succeed. The gospel Jesus Christ leads to lasting happiness. The fullness of his Gospel exists on the Earth today and I want to help spread the joyous news!

If you are reading this and don't know for yourself I plead with you to learn more. You can gain a personal witness that the Gospel has been restored! Visiting http://mormon.org is a great way to start!

I miss you all and would love to hear from you! See you in two years!

Spewage

Eitah!
Thanks for all the great emails. I figured that I wouldn't get many emails during the move, but I was surprised when I had so many today! It brought a smile to know that everything has gone really well. I'm excited to hear that the whole family is already fitting in! It sounds like Minnesota is perfect for our family! I’ll keep our house in NJ in my prayers. A few questions to ask and answer: What is our new address? Do you know Ben Smith’s mission address? (it should be on his blog)

Do you have any memories of FHE?
The most prominent ones are of Dad sending the younger kids on missions around the house while we had a lesson. Also the memories of playing fruit basket upset. I know that FHE made a huge difference – it’s one of those small and simple things that brought our family together.

It’s blessed me in that I am familiar with stories from the scriptures. I think a lot of it comes from our family scripture studies and home evenings. The other day a recent convert asked about the real birthday of Jesus Christ, I think it was completely new to Elder Sicotte that it was April 6th (I think it’s D&C 20:1, the instructing Joseph Smith about how to organize the church).

I do clearly remember the first time I read from the Pearl of Great price. For FHE the older kids went with Dad and the younger ones did an activity with Mom. I really felt the spirit and really learned as we read and asked questions.

Do you notice a change in seasons?
Yes. We just came out of the rainy season into summer. The temperature hasn’t changed very much, it’s always been hot, but it doesn’t rain anywhere near as much as before. It was raining almost every day. The storms are huge too - Bigger than hurricanes in Texas. I’ve never seen as much lightning as I have here.

Do the toilets flush in the opposite direction? (clockwise or counter clockwise, not up vs. down)
Good question, I haven’t noticed, but I’ll make note and let you know next week. On that subject, the plumbing for our Chapel broke on Saturday after the Mamelodi West Elders used the Chapel for a baptism. One of the pipes outside began spewing out sewage. It was pretty gross, no one else was around so we had to turn off the pump for the drains and call a plumber. They came that evening, but soon found it was too big of a job to complete that day. On Sunday we had caution tape all around that side of the chapel. Fortunately it had rained that night and washed away most of the sewage. What a blessing!

We’re running pretty low on time. I’m sorry that this Email hasn’t told you much. The week has been great. We’ve had a lot of success. A lot has happened, but off the top of my head there isn’t a lot of new things to tell about. We received transfer news yesterday- My district is remaining the same, and there were only two changes in the Zone. I am excited to see the work continue to progress. I love being a missionary. Thanks for all of your prayers, know that you are in mine. Have a wonderful week!

Love,
Elder Keith Halterman

No comments:

Post a Comment